View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 06:39 PM
quiltingcandy

My husband believes that if it weren't for him I would be a hoarder. He came from a family that put away everything! Even in the kitchen they put away the toaster and coffee maker. Their idea of a home library was a shelf on a built in bookcase with a single row of books. His mother was a reader, but got rid of a book after she read it or borrowed the book from a friend. My parents bought books! When they passed a few book store owners came to the house and said we had more book than they had in their stores - just to give you an idea, because they saved more than just books.

My husband's a coin collector, which doesn't take up much room and he loves his movies and records/cd's. Then there is me - I love mystery stories and even after I read them very rarely let them go. I will if someone wants them - my niece wanted the "Cat Who" stories and I had them all, so sent them to her with the promise she NOT return them. I have quite a few DVD's - those old movies and TV shows are fun! But the fabric - it follows me home - it jumps out of the shelves at me and says you need me! Who am I to disagree? A friend and I used to make trips to a place that sold scrub scraps by the pound, it was a bargain and pretty and cute and I cannot tell you how much we bought. We finally quit going to their sales - we weren't using it and for medical reasons we weren't able to sew very much.

After clearing out a lot of my mother's items I was inspired and cleared out many of the pieces of fabric I saved and knew I would never use - sent them off to members on the board and to anyone that was sewing with me that needed a piece that I had. (A friend of mine was going to buy some Christmas fabric to make a stocking for her new grandson - told her before she went to the store to check out my stash of over 200 Christmas fabrics - she was shocked, she found exactly what she wanted. In return, she sewed a binding on a kid's quilt for me.) I have more scraps - keep telling myself to make a string quilt, but that is on the to do list, right now I want to finish a couple UFO's and keep an area where I can work - my sewing stays in my sewing room and fairly organized so my husband doesn't complain - he doesn't go in there though, and also, so when we have someone that needs to use the murphy bed it is easily set down. It was nice to get my fabric on the comic book boards and organized because it makes it easier for me to know what it there. I am not concerned about getting rid of things I love because my children don't want to deal with it when I am gone - that will be their issue when I am gone. Until then, I will continue making my quilts and other items and they will enjoy the results.

So make it better for you, so it makes life easier for you. Honestly I felt like I was playing with my fabric when I got it out and put it on the cards - then separated it into things like children's fabrics, Christmas, Halloween, Fall, Florals, sports and solids. And I keep moving items around - depending on what I am working on at the time. Now I just need to finish a few projects and I will feel really accomplished.