Thread: jean quilt
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 AM
buddy'smom

Originally Posted by Emmie
I have a lot of old jeans and I would like to make a jean quilt. My dad is 95 and tells about jean quilts his mother made - he said they were the warmest ones ever - when he was young he slept in the bed with 5 of his brothers and they had a jean quilt that covered them - backing was jeans also - the roof had holes in it and dad said that they never got cold, even when it snowed because the jean quilt was so thick. He is asking me to make him one and I have gathered some of his old jeans as well as mine and my children's. I am an intermediate quilter - can anyone help me - I have purchased a heavy duty needle for my machine and I was planning on 5 inch squares in rows. I did not know if I was thinking of this the right way. Have never made a quilt out of such thick material.
This is a hand stitched quilt I picked up from a junk shop for 12.00, I'm doing repairs on it before I can was it. Tha gal hand stitched the whole quilt, you can see spots where she let the hems down and so it looks well worn in those spots. She used a really good muslin fabric with it, the seams on some are coming apart, but I'll get them repaired a little at a time, she signed the back & dated it 1975, I just love it and will be well worth the repair time for me. It's super heavey.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-61738.jpe   attachment-61739.jpe