Old 08-07-2014, 09:54 AM
J Miller

OK, the stump of the broken needle is out. I clamped a set of Vise Grips on it and tapped it out. It took three tries, tightening the Vise Grips each time before they could grip hard enough to not slip off.

The victimized needle is a Schmetz 15x1 size 16.

One thing I noticed is that modern needles have a short taper, almost a point, at the top of the needle. If your machine has a cross wise needle stop that makes no difference. But this machine does not.
oldsewandsew here's your answer. The 9W-7 and the WW D9 predecessor and probably others do not have a cross wise needle stop nor a place to insert anything to encourage the needle to come out. There is a small diameter hole that intersects the needle hole, but it's so small I don't think you could get anything in there strong enough to have any leverage.

When this machine was modified to use 15x1s, the needle hole was opened up from 1.4 mm to 2.0 mm just deep enough for the 15x1s to time up. The 127x1s still fit and work just fine.

What happened this time is the taper on the top of the needle was forced into the smaller hole as a friction fit and jammed tight. Something that would not usually happen.

After getting the broken needle out I checked the needle bar, it didn't look to have moved in the mounts, or be bent. The needles both the original 127x1 and the 15x1s will mount up and pass through the hole in the needle plate with no problems.

Then I decided to check the hook timing. As far as I can tell it's OK. However ... (there's always a however) I noticed the very tippy end of the hook is broken off. Not enough to really alter the timing, but it's a rough squared end now instead of a point. I don't know if it happened last night or has been there for a while.
I think I might be able to stone and polish it back to a point then re-time it if needed.

So later today I'll thread it up and see if the machine still sews. I think it will.

Joe