View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 04:59 PM
vdot

Default Thanks, MacyBaby!

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
oh - as to shuttles, I may be able to help you if the eBay prices are too steep for you. I'll have to look as I've parted with a few already, but think I may have gotten another one in set of non- White attachments. I end up with all kinds of interesting items that come with boxes of Attachments that I'm after (including automotive points). I'm not in the business of selling, but I don't need to hang on to all the extras either.
Thank you for all the info, Cathy. I *am* having trouble finding a shuttle. so if you can help me, that is great, too!

I went and found a more "useable" 1923 Singer Model 66 Redeye...in nearly new condition...a little dirty and has a small wear spot where an inner wooden piece of the treadle cabinet that was supposed to "clamp" the machine head in place when closed (either added or designed that way) pressed on the machine head in one spot. The wood had no cushion on it or anything, so it slightly messed with one small part of a decal. It's not rubbed off, but just damaged slightly there. The machine came with some accessories and 4 bobbins, and an original manual in good shape (except missing the back cover). The thing was owned by a guy whose mother owned it and had inherited it from her mother in law...so it was a single family machine.

But this white seems to be a little unique, and I'd like to get it in working order...starting with needing a shuttle. As it turns out, it does have an original top clamp setup, and it has some nice original low-shank accessories to match....very heavy-made and chromed. I have a single bobbin that fits, and I think it just needs some cleaning, oiling and a shuttle, to try it out.

Thanks for all the info, and when I can I'll try to take some pics of it, and post them here. I love old machinery, but I think I could get sucked into collecting sewing machines, so I may just sell this one when I get it in a little better shape. On second thought, I'm sure I'm gonna keep it...it's too neat!

BTW, what is the safest, gentllest way to clean these old machines, so that I don't damage the paint or especially the seemingly fragile decals? Also, though they call these "decals," are they really that?...or were they painted on or stenciled? To me a decal is an applique. Is that why they are so fragile (it would seem)?

Thanks again!
-Dave

Last edited by vdot; 08-07-2014 at 05:11 PM.