Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 AM
asabrinao

Default My quilt gets stuck in the machine! Is it the thread, the needle, the stitch length?

Hi, Everyone,

I quilt on a Juki 2010q. Oftentimes, when I'm quilting with my walking foot (I use the one that came with the machine), my quilt doesn't feed through the machine smoothly. It jams in one spot, like a truck that's gotten stuck in the mud, and I get a cluster of stitches in one spot. I have to push the quilt through a little forcefully to get it walking smoothly again, which doesn't make for the tidiest quilting lines. I keep my machine well-oiled and I change my needles frequently. Generally, I use quilting cottons or flannels with low-loft cotton or bamboo batting. I'm still new to this machine, so my relative inexperience might be the culprit here, but it does make me wonder about other factors that could be causing the quilt to get stuck, like thread, needle, and stitch length. So, in addition to any general advice you all might have regarding getting un-stuck, I'm also wondering:

1) What type and weight of thread do you use when quilting and do you use the same type and weight in the bobbin?

2) Assuming you use a quilting needle, what size are you using?

3) What's your preferred stitch length? I generally prefer the look of a stitch length between 2.5 and 2.75. However, my quilt tends to feed most consistently when I go up to a length of 4.

As always, thank you for everything fellow quilters!

Best,
Aso