View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Marcia_PA

Default vintage scrappy--remake

Some of you might remember my post about bringing home a (perhaps) 60s or 70s quilt that I bought for $2 at a thrift shop.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...c-t249983.html

I was going to try to repair it, but when I took off the backing, I decided that wasn't something I wanted to do after all. Some of the blocks were hand sewn together, some machine sewn; the blocks were all kinds of different fabrics and sizes. There is a photo below of some of the fabrics I didn't use.

I got a little obsessed with the thing. I took apart the rows and blocks while watching TV at night. Some fabrics were too damaged to re-use and some were polyester, double knits, wool, etc., and I didn't use them. I starched and cut the fabrics I wanted to use into 3 inch squares. I bought one new fabric (green daisies) and used some scraps I had bought at thrift shops that could have been vintage and fabric from my stash for the sashing.

I decided to do minimal quilting and added the red perle cotton ties (on newer fabric sashing) as a 'nod' to the original quiltmaker and called it done!

I may try to make a lap quilt from some of the remaining fabric for a friend who likes vintage things.

Anyway, that's my little story about the 'almost free' quilt. (No, I didn't keep track of how many hours I put into it--I don't want to know! )
Attached Thumbnails oldquilt3.jpg   oldquilt1.jpg   fabrics1.jpg   newquilt.jpg   newquilt2.jpg