View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 06:39 AM
Sally J

I have 7 machines so I've gone through this many times. Here are my suggestions 1. You should buy any machine only after fully testing it at the store. I would suggest you take your own scrap material and thread you usually use for this test 2. Only buy a machine from a dealer you like and trust and that you can visit by a reasonable drive. Things may happen even to a new machine 3. Be very clear what you want...throat size, type of stitches, and your main purpose for the machine ( I have a Janome with 11 inch throat for just free motion) 4. Don't just pay the price on the machine, negotiate. If they won't reduce the price, ask for accessory feet, thread or even small cabinet. 5. Do research on-line before you visit any dealer. You might even consider see if there is a Yahoo Group for the machine and see what owners are saying about the machine.
Two times I didn't do the able and one machine just doesn't work for me. It is a very noisy machine and I know that seems petty, but it drives me crazy and I don't use it. The other machine seemed fine but I had serious tension problems but the dealer finally discovered it had a damaged tension disk from the original shipping.
Since I attend many quilters "open sews" I now know I should have looked at the Juki machine for free motion. It is only a straight stitch but has a large throat and a great stitch.
Do your homework and you will LOVE your new machine. Good Luck..Let us know what you get