View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Kwiltr

Originally Posted by zino270 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. My machine doesn't have the ability to lower the pressure on the presser foot, so that option is out. I wish I did have that option because a lot of what I have read suggests that. Adding more quilting lines at 1.5" like someone suggested might help hold things down too, I just prefer the look of less quilting. Guess it might be a trade off I have to make. I know the puckers will hardly show once it is washed, but they still bug me! I just felt that it was for sure a basting issue since some seams were laying perfectly flat as I crossed them and others 'stood up' a little. Does anyone have any tips for spray basting, especially when adhearing the top? All the tutorials I read give great detail about spreading the back taut (which I think I do well) but not much give details about spreading the top.
You do need to be careful with how 'taut' you spread your backing out. If you put too much tension on it so that you are actually stretching it, when you remove the tape or clamps that you have used to do this, the fabric will recoil back to relax and your top will have been spread over an area too small for it suddenly, if you get my drift.. Also, when you use spray basting, like 505, Ann Peterson recommends ironing the quilt after it's spray basted to set the adhesive. So that's how I do it and haven't had any problems. I'm working on a 100 x 116" quilt and the only small puckers I had in the top were where my piecing was less than optimum and the quilt is a heavily pieced In HST's and 4 patches. I ditched it on my Janome 6600 with a walking foot.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by Kwiltr; 08-11-2014 at 03:12 PM.