View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 06:39 AM
Bubbie

When I was looking for a new (or newer), machine I had the same questions you do. I found that I made up quilt blocks (cut out the pieces for a simple block or mug rug batting and backing), placed it into a zip lock bag. I made 12 of these bags up, then placed a large recipe card into each bag and all bags went into my car. When I went to a dealer (we have a number in my area), to look at a machine I would take a bag or two into the dealers with me. They show you all kinds of things, but you need to do some sewing your self. I would sew a block together, then make my notes on the enclosed card. If I used a second machine in the shop I would do it all over again. I also had a couple of finished blocks with me that I would try free motion quilting on, I would also make notes on a card also. This gave me things to look at and reread my notes when I was away from the sales people. With the price of machines any dealer that doesn't want you to make a block, doesn't want to sell a machine. I have found that the dealers I went to, thought it was a good idea (and I was asked back to teach a tween sewing class). Just something you might want to try. Good luck.