View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 07:32 AM
SteveH
Banned

Originally Posted by vdot View Post
BTW, are you the guy who has a restore shop, and goes by "Sewing Machine Steve?" If so, I liked your work (what I could see of it) on the Singer 27, and especially on the Singer 66 on your website.
Oh so not me.... my Collection travels under the name "The Victorian Sweatshop" Here is my website which is WAY behind the actual collection, but undergoing updates as we speak.

I get your point about the "Glossy" but a Japanned finish that is restored can be just as deep if not deeper that polymer in appearance. If you could "Japan" your automobile you would have a finish that would NOT sun fade like modern paints. The main issue with Japanning is that it is brittle, whereas the modern paints are more flexible. I have restored 60's and early 70's Mopars and when I did, I shot my own paint, so I do have a small amount of experience on that side as well.

Oh, and I would LOVE to have someone show me (not tell me) an "appropriate solvent" to clean old japanning off, it is SO not as easy to strip as paint.... I am restoring a couple pair of old tailor shears and the japanning is a biatch to remove.

Last edited by patricej; 08-14-2014 at 12:06 PM.