View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 08:55 AM
Jo Anne B.

Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana View Post
Are you saying depression comes from alcohol and drug use, or that substance abuse comes from depression?l Remember he was "clean" for almost 20 years ... and still battled depression during that time. Robin was an extremely complex character, like John Belushi, both battling their dark sides their entire lives..
Alcohol is a depressant, so is pot, add the depression that accompanies Parkinson's disease. obviously too much for Robin to handle. I had a college anatomy/physiology instructor who describe the superior intelligent persons are prone to having unbalanced brains. Maybe strong in intelligence weak in social skills, decision making skills, as examples. She did add "It is far easier to be average"
I have a nephew who is of superior intelligence, skipped a grade. He also had a serious fixation with lighters and locking people out of houses. As a teen he found shoplifting and huffing(breathing chemicals from an aerosal can) My brother sent him to a rehab school in West Somoa island. He was required to wash his own clothes in a creek beating on a rock-probably like my great great grandmother did. He never left Level #1 in the entire 2.5 years he was there. He was graduated because he turned 18. He is now 30 and for whatever reason he is doing ok. (Thank God!). Right now I have a friend (yes, a friend) who is battling depression and suicidal thoughts. and is very open about this yet, works hard to hide and deny her daily alcoholic and pot dependence. I find myself walking a tight rope as to how often and how well do I keep in touch with her and keep a healthy distance from the substance abuse and subsequent behaviors. Pot by the way is a Gateway drug to other drug usage.