Old 08-15-2014, 01:06 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
I am not a quilt appraiser, so I do not know the value of this Carpenter's Wheel quilt. It's beautiful. If it were my quilt I would add a new backing over the old one, then since you said there is minimal quilting, I would quilt it over the new backing, first by SID around the blocks. Hope this helps as it's a beautiful quilt, even if it is just displayed over a quilt rack or a guest bedroom bed, it needs to be seen and enjoyed.
Just a gorgeous quilt! And obviuosly sentimental value. I'd definitely get into touch with an expert quilt restoration person to talk about options. That being said, I'm thinking from the pictures of the top that it appears that the top is made out of a silk or satin? Are you familiar with fabrics and can tell whether it's cotton or something else? I know from working as a history museum intern decades ago, that often the turn of the century "dress-up" clothing was made out of a silk weave that tended to be rather heavy. This special fabric was often used in other items after being worn out by the wearer--so it's possible it's older than 1920's--but if that is the case, it also means that it's more fragile because it will "shatter" more easily. Love the quilt!