Old 08-15-2014, 01:10 PM
janRN

QNS, great news about your vision. Take care of yourself and don't over do it trying to catch up on all your projects.

Carrie, sorry you're having so much trouble with headaches again. Hope your neurologist has a solution.

Quilting Expo was lots of fun; my credit card is now a little piece of melted plastic LOL. Not really, just got a few FQs and some background fabric for my Christmas wall hanging. More vendors were selling yardage this year instead of just precuts. The main focus of the show seemed to be quilting machines of all makes and sizes. I saw lots of people purchasing long and mid arms--doing their best to boost the economy.

There was something that's bothering me. When we walked in we saw beautiful quilts on display in the distance. All "old fashioned" patterns: Grandmother's Flower Garden, Coxcomb, Irises, Tulips, etc., all done in "old fashioned" fabrics. As we got closer we thought they're not quilts, they're rugs. When we got in front of them they were quilts but the quilting was super, super dense, so much so it looked like the nap or pile on carpets. I mean, quilted pebbles the size of erasers; straight lines less than 1/4" apart (looked like chenille); squares less than 1/2" in size. I wanted to quote OKSewglad and say "enough!!!". Is this the new "thing" in quilting? It was obviously done by computer and I didn't find that it enhanced the quilt blocks at all. If this is the new quilting, does my dislike (disdain) make me officially an old Geezer? No pic were allowed, I'd have loved for you to see examples. What are your feelings towards this type of quilting? If this is what's expected of show quilts my poor Spike quilt doesn't stand a chance at our local show in Sept. Sorry for the rant--to be blunt, they were awful LOL.