Old 08-15-2014, 02:45 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Oh I so agree with you Jan! As an old geezer, I'd like to have a quilt that drapes well and invites one to cuddle up in. At what point are these textile art works instead of quilts? Doing a google search I found this article written 18 months ago.

http://www.quiltingdaily.com/blogs/q...-to-watch.aspx

As the quilt "industry" has evolved into a multi million dollar business, someone is out there to get the most $$. One has to come up with new ideas to keep the industry going forward. Reusing old non copyrighted blocks is so limiting--innovation is the key to this success. Designers are out there asking "What if...?" and coming up with new designs and techniques, each needing to be tweaked a little bit to make it their own. I feel that the big players (i.e., fabric manufacturers and sewing machine companies) are pushing to make it bigger, better for them to make bigger, better profits.

You hit the nail on the head when you stated:
"The main focus of the show seemed to be quilting machines of all makes and sizes. I saw lots of people purchasing long and mid arms--doing their best to boost the economy."

So many of us have more fabric than we know what to do with. The next best thing to make $ with is machines with all the bells and whistles to create the new trends. Personally I would love to have a long arm machine, but I can not justify the cost. (I need a new car instead....)

I am sure there are "artists" out there who will defend their creativity and their acquired skills, because admittedly it does practice as well as ability to achieve the results you describe.

"That's enough, old geezer!" I'm off my soap box now. Thanks for bringing this up.

On another note little 4 yo fell out of hay mow today 10' down onto the cement floor--broke his forearm in 2 places, thankfully not near the growth plate and no concussion from landing on a cement floor. Yes his arms "broke" the fall. He didn't like the cold veggie packs Gram made him keep on for at least 10 minutes.... All will be well, but just another "this is not how my day was supposed to go" experience and maybe a little more cautious 4 yo.