View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Macybaby

We're home finally - almost 12 hours from when we set out - though not all that was spent driving. We went to Homer NE, and then back through Yankton SD.

When I found the add - it was listed from a place on the south side of Omaha, and DH got excited about going to Omaha for the day- but it turned out to be just a but south of Sioux City - the very soon to be retired couple bought a new house, and he's still spending some time at the old one. She's move most of her sewing stuff, but not what she decided to sell.

She also had three other older machines, a Singer 99K, a neat Wilcox and Gibbs early electric in a neat square wood box, and a very rough GE Sewhandy - no box or cords/pedal, but it did have the bobbin and bobbin case. I was tempted to take them all home, but the one I was after was going to take just about all my spending allowance, and I already have examples of the other three.

We did get what we came for and loaded it up, the stopped at another place just south of Yankton, and I found something I just had to bring home, and DH found something he really liked, and I wasn't about to discorage him LOL!! (OK, so I about twisted his arm when he was dithering over it).

Here is the back of the van - it's a pretty full load. The item carefully wrapped in the blanket is what I was after. The big white thing is what I wanted, and the other is DH's find.

Here are the two machines that go with all that

This is DH's find - he's got it out soaking in Tri-flow right now. A 29-4 with a treadle base

And lots of fun stuff in the drawer

And my "I have to have this" item. I was walking around and found it tucked in a corner with a bunch of stuff on it. I called "Hubby, you have to come see this " and the older store owner said "Oh, you found the mangle". Yea, I found an Ironrite Mangle. And it does work.

It came with the manual in about brand new conditon, and some other orignal paperwork.

it's a model 85, and while I couldn't find any dates - this is a clue to it's age.

And finally - the item I went after. Here is the machine that goes with the cabinet.

Not that I needed another FW - but she was part of the deal. The seller bought her and the cabinet 20 years ago, and she did not come with the case. I've got cases for the others, so this one can stay in the cabinets where she's been living for some time now.

And the cabinet - one of the hardest and most expensive Singer cabinets to aquire.

And what makes this one extra special? It's got the lift! Yea, my heart skipped a few beats when I saw this listed . . .

From what I've read, Singer only made them this way for a short time. Most have a ledge the machine sits on, and you pick it up and set in into the opening, and there are fixed brackets for it to sit on.

And if you are wondering about the cabinet behind the FW - that is a machine I picked up yesterday. This one had been at the local antique shop for a while, and I've wanted smaller White made machine, plus I really like this cabinet.

Next weekend we are heading into the Twin Cities for another "clean up" day at the farm. Don't really like doing all of this traveling, some is for fun, but a lot is dealing with the estate and that kind of stuff. And it looks like we'll be heading to Florida in Sept or October, as DH's Mom is now in Hospice, and no one knows how much longer she has.