Thread: Frustrated!
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 04:15 AM
nanna-up-north

Well, Kelley, It sounds like you are getting some good advice. I do both machine quilting and hand quilting but hand quilting takes me a long time to get a quilt done. For hand quilting I use a quilting frame but I have HQ on a hoop and without anything. I think everyone has their own method that works for them.

I thought I'd mention a thought about the creases you get when machine quilting. I had that problem also. I tried everything anyone would suggest but never had any luck machine quilting without those awful tucks. My fancy $$$$ Viking would always be a problem no matter how I sandwiched the layers or which $$$$ walking foot I used. Then, I bought a vintage Singer 15-91. People over on the vintage site talked about how nicely the 15-91 quilts. I found a machine at an auction for $10, cleaned it up, had to replace the bobbin case and cord (cost around $12) and the machine was set to go. I couldn't believe how nicely the vintage machine quilted. .... not a single tuck. Now it's the only machine I use for FMQ and I've quilted some pretty large quilts on it. The latest one was queen sized.... not a single tuck. So, maybe the problems you're having are from the machine you are using and not your method.

I don't see where you are located but I'm sure there are hand quilters that would be willing to give you some lessons if you want to go that route. But don't abandon your search for a machine that will do a good job for you as well.