View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Macybaby

when you say "Like" what is it you mean?

One that takes cams and does zigzag?

One that was made to convert between treadle or electric from the Factory?

Though in looking over my 401G - it sure looks like I'd need a different flywheel to convert it . . . .

I don't think anyone has put together a "list" so all we can do is offer suggestions based on what we've personally encountered. I'd suggest taking the information presented here - go on eBay and type in sewing machines, and then look in Collectables or Antiques to get mostly older ones, and then looking specifically for ones that have the characteristics that would make them treadle-able.

I did a quick look, and saw several that look like they could be treadled - zigzag, reverse, cams and such.

So far, the only machine I've encountered that is "like" the 401G is my Necchi Supernova, but both look like they may need a different flywheel than what the electric model comes with - but the bed has the option built in to it.

The Kenmores made by White look treadle-able - those made later do not. Wards- all depends on who was making the machines, the earlier ones by National (mostly pre zigzag) do not, as they had a friction motor and no provisions for a belt of any kind.

Others - a whole slew of Japanese made machines (which White became one of) are out there - that look like they would be candidates for it. Even some much newer machines look like you could - if you could find a way to put a different flywheel on them.