View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 AM
Macybaby

That Universal Deluxe is a great example of what I mean by "Japanese made" zig zag machines. My White 670 is very, very similar to that one.

the 401G is a German made Singer, and they are few and far between in the US, so you'll be darn lucky to find one. I paid $25 for mine, it showed up on Craigslist in Atlanta while I was done there. The seller had no clue, Just posted it as "Old Singer", but I could tell what it was by the pictures. If you find a seller that KNOWS what they have and markets it as such, I'd expect to pay a lot more.

If you want something cheap and easy to get - forget about the Singer 401G and look for a Japanese machine like your picture. They are very common, and you can probably pick one up from Craigslist for under $50. You'll possibly pay more for a treadle cabinet to put it in - they may drop right into a Singer one, but at worst you have to modify the top of the treadle.

I love those "dash board" Japanese machines. I'd have a whole wall of them if I hadn't gone a different direction. So my sole example is my White 670