Thread: Frustrated!
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 07:33 AM
maryjane13

Kellyer21..I too had trouble with the back getting pushed into creases..After much sewing and taking out..I had always used safety pins to hold the pieces together..I found out It just does not work well with the big quilts if u have a quilt pattern that moves all over..It is fine if u have a pattern that travels in one direction most of the time..Also I do a square at a time sort of quilting if I have a pattern that moves all over..I do free motion quilting..U can use a darning foot for that or a free motion foot..I have a small space to quilt in..So I bunch my quilt around the machine..So there is no pull on it from the weight..Also u can make it easier by quilting half the quilt or a fourth..Then after quilting sew them together ..Then put the borders on..also u can keep the quilt top whole..and just put the batting into half the quilt..This makes holding the backing tighter ..Easier..also depending on what u have u can use a big hoop and quilt sections that way on the machine..I have tried many ways..But the main thing is they have to be basted .Sewed or glued..The reason being..There is too much movement of the quilt when using a home machine ..also the batting makes a difference too..Some slide .More than others..It is just a try and learn .then pick what works for u..I have picked out yards of quilting so I understand where u are coming from..But don't give up on the machine quilting..There are all kinds of videos out there to watch also.They are always good for hints..