Old 08-20-2014, 03:02 PM
QuilterKay

Default Golden Area things of interest

Originally Posted by txstitcher View Post
DH and I are going to be visiting the Idaho Springs, CO, area in October. I'd love any suggestions related to good eats, fabric/quilting, shopping, hiking, sites that must be seen, etc. We probably won't travel more than an hour in any direction from Idaho Springs unless we know of something specific to go to.

We do plan on taking the train ride in Georgetown, possibly checking out Breckenridge, Golden, and possibly Estes Park.

Thanks,
Michelle
Golden has a lovely quilt shop and the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum is also in Golden. While there you can also tour the Coors brewery and go walk along Clear Creek (The tubing and kayaking would be a little cold in October.). Along the creek is an open air history museum of buildings from gold rush times. There is a nice geology museum at the Colorado School of Mines. There is also the Colorado Railroad Museum a small distance out of town. There are lots of good restaurants as well. My favorite is Ali Baba's which serves Middle Eastern food. It is north of downtown on Highway 93.

There is also a nice drive along Virginia Gulch Road from Idaho Springs to Central City. Parts are gravel but it is an easy drive for any car and the views are beautiful.

Hope this helps.