View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 03:11 PM
RedGarnet222
Power Poster

Oh dear!! There are so many responses to this question. I first ask myself how the quilt will be used. Is it a utilitarian or medium use or a show quilt? I also take into account the material "flavor" meaning is it a modern, country, contemporary, ect. Then I ask myself how much quilting because of the design of the blocks and where they need the extra stitching to have it stabilized correctly.

Then there is the amount of stitching that is needed for the batting I am using. When I answer this is when I move on to the design part. Often the quilt will "talk" to me as to where it needs this and that to make it right.

There are tons of books, pantos and classes. I am taking one now at craftsy for the background filler stitches by Leaha Day. (sp?) It is shown on a domestic (home) machine, but the principles are the same either way. She is the one who did the 365 days of stitches on her blog some time ago.

I really think if you start looking around on the web, you will find groups and classes that you can take from home. Also the local quilt stores have classes you can take to get the hand's on experience.