Thread: Opinion Please
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 04:09 AM
citruscountyquilter

I love your potholders but I don't think you would be successful at a craft show with them because of the cost. The other thing that would deter me from making them for a craft show is that they are very labor intensive. When you have bindings and such you add a lot of time to the project and I would personally get sick of doing enough of them to have enough for a show.

If you want to do something for a craft show then buy sale fabric either out of season or on the sale racks at fabric shops. Pick a pattern that is easy to make but looks complicated. By doing this you can price your things competitively and won't lose your mind and body in the process.

I use Anita's Arrowhead for a lot of pot holders and mug rugs. You can make that block in all different sizes if you keep things in proportion (when you make your initial square smaller or bigger just adjust the size of the area you don't sew and cut your strips). I know this sounds confusing but when you check our the pattern it should make more sense. It's a free download. I use a birthing method rather than binding. I really like to make the backs where you fold squares together like a box. Sorry I can't remember the actual name of this method. Perhaps someone else can.

As for the potholders you made I would give them as gifts to special people who would appreciate them. They are great!