View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 PM
LynnVT

I'm enjoying this thread. I took a class at a long long armer and realized that I hated it. I can't stand up for hours at a time, I hated all the setup stuff, and felt disconnected using the handles to steer the needle. However, she had a Sweet Sixteen, and when I went back another time and tried it, I just fell in love. She let me take it home (small town here) and though we discussed my renting it a while, I ended up just buying it at a discount because it was used. So when you can afford it, I would suggest getting a sitdown machine. People can just slide their quilt under the needle and go. I used to baste, then tried spray gluing, but mostly just lay out a sandwich, press the layers together with my fingers or iron, stick in a few safety pins in corners and here and there, and roll in from the edges. People could work in shorter bursts, and of course some will want to buy their own machine which would be great for you. Turn over your machines at a demo discount and you'll make good money. Good luck whatever you do! I wish I were in a position to let folks use mine but some earlier posts with horror stories turned me off on the idea. You are more business minded and I bet you'll do fine. Also, if you're in a place where there are many quilters, it should be a go.