View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Grace creates

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
This is such a timely topic for me and my extended family. We are currently in the process of trying to have my sister civilly committed. This has been such a heart wrenching journey. She is currently hospitalized, (has been since end of June) but may be released shortly depending on the judge's findings. She doesn't/can't/won't accept that she is ill. She is a danger to herself, is homeless, jobless, and paranoid. For a wide variety of reasons no one in the family is in a position to take her in, and getting help for someone who does not want help is incredibly difficult. I agree about the stigma part being hard for some people...one of my brothers doesn't want anyone to know, and another brother won't tell his wife! Sometimes, I see that "look" in her eyes, and wonder how terrified and confused she must be. Kudos to all who have had the courage to seek help, aren't ashamed or embarrassed, and have embraced help and treatment, sometimes at great personal cost! Mavis...thank you for your insight and thoughts!
This must be just so terrible for your sister. She must feel rejected by her family since her health is something being hidden from her sister in law and other's. Prayer's go out for your sister. May I suggest a sit down with all family members and everyone pitch in a bit. All of those bits will add up to her feeling at least loved by her family. Drop the stigma and look at what you can do.