View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 04:41 AM
SueSew

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
But that doesn't explain SueSew's experience. Her blocks were too small until she changed to a shorter stitch length, and then they were large enough. Just the opposite of your explanation. I can sort of understand that more stitches would result in the fabric being pulled smaller, though I haven't experienced that. (And haven't experimented with it, so can't say it isn't true.) But why would that give greater accuracy? Most times the problem reported is that the blocks come out too small, not too large, so a looser stitch would be better if that were the case.

I watched an Eleanor Burns video where she recommended a high stitch count per inch (15?) for sewing strips that are going to be cross-cut, so there's less chance of the threads coming loose when they are cut. I understand doing that, but how does it contribute to accuracy? Inquiring minds need to know.
Dunster, I hope I didn't say it backwards. What I did was measure the not-joined strips before joining, and they were accurately cut at 12 1/2". After sewing at 1.8 they were almost 1/4" shorter in length. With sewing at 2.2 they were looser. So I sewed at 2.0 and when I cross-cut the threads stayed put - but they were Aurfil cotton, not that slippery Oh So Fine/Bottom Line polyester combo.

I think it is also related to the machine thinking it knows what the tension should be. On my old Elna I could get in and adjust top and bottom tension.