View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 03:57 AM
great white

Just a quickie.

Using 15x1 leather needles in my 319w to do exterior grade vinyl. Stitched up a sleeve to make a foam filled gasket (pool noodles) to seal my truck cab to my bed cap.

6 layers of vinyl in some seams and Velcro closure parts thrown in here and there.

Worked great!

It seems to have a funny quirk now and then with timing. It will be sewing fine and then its like the shuttle hook goes 180 out.

A re-time fixes it just fine, until it does it again a few weeks later. Everthing is tight, clean and running well. I'll have to get deeper into its guts and have a closer look. Very odd behavior. I do have a complete spare shuttle hook assembly if I need to swap it out. I bought it online from a guy scrapping out a couple 319w's. I grabbed it since it came with the original bobbin case and the whole thing only cost as much as an aftermarket case.

I will say that I no longer believe the "can't use 15x1 needles" thing. I use them all the time with no issues. Stitches great. My machine is a little altered, but nothing radical. Just a little clearancing and I don't think it even needed that.

But overall,very happy with the old hack. It will sew pretty much anything that will fit under the foot. Well worth the 100 bucks I paid for table and machine.

Last edited by great white; 08-23-2014 at 04:12 AM.