View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 05:20 AM
Janie67

Originally Posted by MamaHen View Post
I'm thinking of starting a new business, the idea is to open a quilting shop (only long arm quilting supplies stocked), where customers could come & use the stores long arm machines to quilt their own quilts for a nominal fee. If something like this was available in your area, would you use it as opposed to sending your quilts out for hire??? Of course those wanting to use machines would have to go through a 3-4 hr class on use & then reserve time for the machines. This shop would also be a machine dealer offering machines for sale & travel to shows. I'm wondering if the need is out there & if the expense would be offset by the income. Not looking to make a killing, only enough to pay overhead. What do you all think? All opinions are welcome
i have seen seen that offered in several shops in Oklahoma. One issue is the ability to finish in one setting or the need to remove the quilt so others can use the machine. One shop required a zipper type attachment to load and unload the quilt more easily. I think it was the shop in Blanchard, OK. Sorry I cannot remember the name but you could call and see the pitfalls from someone else who has tried it in their quilt shop.