View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 10:26 PM
Koriana

Default D4P Butterflies--Work in Progress

I've been playing with D4P's thanks to both my mother-in-law and the many beautiful posts on the board. All along, they've made me think of butterflies. I played on graph paper with some alternate arrangements and while I saw butterflies my husband couldn't see it. So then a brainstorm hit...I can alter the blocks, adding to the original D4P and adding sashing to clearly separate the butterflies. After all, isn't that how new designs are created? So, I made my first block and showed my husband and mother-in-law, neither was really impressed, but I still really liked where it was going. So I kept making blocks. Then a co-worker asked me about making a baby quilt for her daughter who was expecting. I asked her about theme and color...are you ready...butterflies & flowers in pinks and purples. I couldn't believe it...the batik I was using for my D4P butterflies shaded from pink to purple and had flowers in multiple hues. I grabbed a piece of the fabric and took it to work with me the next day to show my friend...she flipped and thought it was absolutely gorgeous and just perfect for the expected grand-daughter. Anyway, I've finished the top. My husband helped design the final layout (butterfly directions). And, he finally saw the butterflies, though he says they remind him more of moths. I hope you like the design and I'm looking forward to finishing the quilt.
Attached Thumbnails dp4-butterflies-quilt-top.jpg