View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 11:27 AM
mrs. fitz

My E-Z pass is automatically replenished via my Visa so I know anything from them would be a scam.

Here are two potential scams we keep getting - (1) calls about our PSE&G bill (electricity/gas company). I live in a co-op and we don't get a bill, it's included in our monthly maintenance. (2) A recent call by my husbant to his insurance company opened with a free offer for a personal safety alert system, you know, you push a button around your neck if you're in need. Since we've been thinking about getting one for him he listened to the pitch, then put me on the phone. I found out it's a company that is not associated in any way with our insurance company. It was a hard sell - he could get this free with low montly fee only with this phone call, as soon as she gets our information a unit would be shipped right out. She also said the number we'd called was the wrong one and once she had our order she could give us a new number for the insurance company. We hung up, he dialed again (same number), got his insurance company and explained what had just happened. The customer service person had no idea what we were talking about and said it would be investigated. How the alarm system company had been able to cut into a legitimate major insurance company's number is a mystery. We haven't heard anything further but it's another warning to be super careful with anything that doesn't seem quite right.