View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 05:01 AM
reneaunoel

I shop at ANY store that sells fabric by touch. I feel them all! I shop with my 1 year old granddaughter and she is very much a touch and feel person, too, so we are continuing that tradition!

I always buy my fabrics with these ideas in mind; that I may have a few damaged spots (especially from the sale or remnants section); that the sizing WILL be washed out before I cut the fabric; the color in my minds eye is seldom accurate, but I do know what color/feel I don't like; and last but not least, what ever I buy will eventually be used! I just recently cut into a 2 yard piece of fabric that my Great Grand Mother purchased when I was born. My GD loves the new little outfit and when she outgrows it, we will save it for her. (that tradition thing again)

I love when I find a true fabric/sewing/quilting brick and mortar store, but the biggest reason I love going to Joanns and other "Variety Stores" is that they sell OTHER stuff too! Yarn, crafting thread, home decor material, off the wall patterns, books, art supplies, etc. Just 2 weeks ago, found a wonderful "Sewing Room on Wheels" set for an awesome price. My sewing machine is loving it's new stylish storage and my daughter "inherited" my old wheeled tote for her Singer. This particular item, I've never seen on the web, at any site!

Since I sew clothing as well as quilts, if a fabric turns out unsuitable for one, it's usually ok for the other!

PS, I also buy at fabric.com, their descriptions are brief but seem to be accurate. and once you are on their mailing list, they send out loads of "sale" options.