View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 01:12 PM
ube quilting
Power Poster

I do pre- wash every fabric with just a little detergent and no softener, gentle/ short cycle.

Either dry in machine on low setting or hang outside (weather).

I do not iron fabric at this point but straighten and fold it and put into stock shelf.

I double starch on back, press on front ( starch & press - starch & press). I do this after I cut the amount I want to use off the main length of fabric. It just makes it easier to handle. Re fold the main piece and place in basket that goes with project. I like to keep all my fabrics for one project together in case I want to cut more.

I also don't like to cut out an entire quilt at one time. What if I cut it all wrong!

After the starch& press I will begin to sub cut the fabric into the pieces I need for the project.

Why do I do this? It really does make the fabric easier to handle, controls fraying and distortion. The number one reason is because I like to play with fabric. It is all part of the joy of making a quilt. There is a meditation and calmness in doing these acts as part of the creative process. I love it.

peace