View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 02:04 PM
QuiltingHaven

I wash my fabric when I bring it home. I use color catchers when washing mixed colored fabrics. I put them in the dryer with my woolie balls and run it on low for 10 minutes and then I hang all of the fabric on the clothes line. I have found over the 4 years that I have been quilting that if I have just gotten some fabric, I wash it in the next load of laundry, dry for 10 minutes in the dryer using my woolie balls to keep the fabric fluffed, hang in on the closeline. Otherwise, I wash batches if I am getting in the process of making a quilt. I have purchased fabric at garage sales (really good buys) and it stays in the garage as I slowly wash it. Yes, I know it is a lot of trouble but I think of where it could have been made, chemical allergies of family members, and want to make sure shrinkage won't be a problem (you don't want to know about the charm packs) and then I put a note on it washed and how much yardage is in each piece of fabric and put it on a styrofoam sheet (purchased at Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon) cut in 10" by 5" pieces.