View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 10:49 AM
MarthaVA

Hi. I'm new to quilting. I am making a quilt for my daughter, and I have hand quilted the 3 sections - 3 times. I've had to tear out the stitches - 3 times. :evil:

The first time I tried machine quilting but the stitches kept coming out way too close together - after 2 rows I decided it wasn't good so I would hand quilt it.

I am sewing my rows about 4 inches apart, on the diagonal. I don't know if this makes any difference.

The next time I sewed (by hand) I finished all of the stitching and laid the quilt out flat. I realized that the fabric was not laying flat on the backing. :(

I tore it all out, started again.

I sewed about 5 or 6 rows, and checked the back. Same thing.

I know it must have to do with the way I'm sandwiching. The first time and second time, I had pinned it all together after laying it on the floor. That was really hard for me - being on the floor and trying to get it all done. Hard on the knees and the back.
I also had not used a hoop the second time.

The third time, I didn't pin it but hand basted it lengthwise and widthwise. I don't think I used enuf basting.

I also used a hoop the third time. That didn't help.

My next step is to lay out the backing, tape it down, spray it w/adhesive, then lay down the batting, spray with adhesive, then the top. My only problem is, I'm afraid to take this next step because if I get it wrong again, I'm afraid I'll ruin the quilt with the spray adhesive.

HELP????

Thanks.
Martha