View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I also recommend the "Two Men and a Truck" kind of help.

Last time we moved, I went online and found a company that provided moving manpower for about $50 per hour per man. I hired two men and they helped my husband move everything from the truck into the house. Turned out it would have been better to hire three men, as then there would have been two pairs of men working together to carry stuff in. My husband underestimated the amount of work, so the men stayed extra hours, but they did manage to get everything into the house in one day.

Previously we had used a local company that basically sends out a small truck and a couple of men well-schooled in how to move things. They had come recommended from a friend, but I saw they are also listed in the yellow pages. They did a really good job moving a piano, and they were extremely fast and efficient moving things from one apartment to another. They did not have one of those big moving vans so, to move a large 3-story house, they would have had to make multiple trips. Or, perhaps they could send out several crews at a time.

I have seen some horror stories about families using the large moving van companies to move households. There was one story on tv where the mother researched companies online in order to find a good one. They loaded up the entire house and then disappeared. They lost all their photo albums, including irreplaceable vintage photos of the older generation. Whatever company you use, save all the photo albums and anything else that could never be replaced for your own car.

Edit: Here's a link to the "Two Men and a Truck" website where you can find more info.
http://www.twomenandatruck.com/home

Edit2: I just read through some of the reviews at the website, and it appears that quality varies a lot from one franchise to another. Be careful.

Last edited by Prism99; 08-26-2014 at 12:16 PM.