View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 07:24 AM
selm

Originally Posted by pahega View Post
Getting rid of "stuff" will be the biggest hurdle, I think. Sorting and deciding what to keep and what to get rid of can be overwhelming. A lot of people suggest doing a yard sale, but I live out in the country 30 minutes away from a sizable town. People don't have yard sales this far out. What is the next best thing?
We're getting ready to move after over 22 years in one place. We've been de-cluttering and find you have three piles:
one for the trash; one to give away or possibly sell and one to keep. For the trash make a pile somewhere and hire a trash dealer to pick it up. We've taken many bags of things to the dump but have had one pile picked up and are getting another pile ready.
The give away/sell pile is a problem. I've done yard sales in the past and find them a lot of work, so this time, I'm not doing that. I've taken many trips to Goodwill with items. You could call some charities and see if they will pick up things. If you have things you think you would want to sell you could try craigslist or ebay or have estate sale people look at them(this would work for furniture also). Unless something is very valuable you might give it away or trash it as a last resort. Small items of value could be moved with you and sold later.

Getting rid of "stuff" is a hurdle but the only way is to pick a room and start.

If you're moving locally it is usually calculated by time not weight as a long-distance move is. They will charge so much per hour for a truck and some men. With that in mind look at your "stuff" and ask yourself if it is worth the time it will take to move it out and into a new place. The more you move the longer it will take and the more it will cost. Also, if you are downsizing you need to keep that in you mind too. Will you have room for an item, do you really need it?
I find that we've kept things "just because" because we had the room to keep it as you always think you might need it someday. Now I'm paying the price as I sort and move all that stuff out.

Good luck in your move.