View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 PM
gmsoule

Ok, so this may be a really dumb question, but I haven't been quilting long and have not come across this situation yet, so please forgive!

When the batting instructions say "quilt up to 8 inches apart" (warm & natural, in this case) what does that mean exactly? Does it mean you could, in theory, do straight line quilting across the quilt with rows 8 inches apart (horizontal OR vertical) or does it mean you would need to quilt both across the quilt every 8 inches (horizontal AND vertical) every 8 inches?

I was hoping to do straight-line quilting every 4 inches, but only in one direction (horizontal) for about 1/2 of the quilt (center has more quilting) However, as I think about that I am thinking that leaves a large "stripe" of un-quilted area that is only 4 inches tall but 64 inches wide (width of quilt)... not a good idea?

If it matters, it is a heavy denim quilt (my only denim quilt EVER) with Warm and Natural batting and a heavy flannel backing. The blocks are 4 x 8 inches, sewn into a brick pattern. The middle 1/2 of the quilt has a pattern with different colors of denim and I am stair stepping through section that to compliment the pattern. I was hoping to just straight quilt the rest horizontally, along with the rows of bricks. The idea of stair-stepping down the rest of the thing to catch all of both the vertical and horizontal seams, makes me grimace. It is not an easy feat to wrestle this heavy thing through my little Kenmore! However this is going to be an every-day use quilt, not something I hang on the wall, so I also don't want it falling apart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Gwen