View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Rodney

Default Latest Acquisitons

I've mentioned a couple times on here that I won a Singer 66 at auction. There's really nothing remarkable about the machine except that I placed an absentee bid of $5.00-the auction houses minimum absentee bid- and won it. It says something about the sorry state of the market for these machines.
Here's a couple pictures.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]489467[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]489468[/ATTACH]
It came in a New Home wooden case and is missing the slide plate and spool pin. It seems pretty solid though and should be an easy one to get running again. My plans are to convert it to hand crank for kids to use. It's also my first carrying case of this style. i wanted one to study how they were put together. ISMACS shows that it was one of 35000 66s allocated for production on May 22, 1928.

This find I'm pretty proud of. I answered a Craigslist ad this morning and went on a minor road trip with my daughter to pick it up earlier today. I was smart and got permission from my CFO before I brought this one home. I don't think she was aware of the 66 until she answered the call from the auction house saying I won.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]489469[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]489470[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]489471[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]489472[/ATTACH]
So far all I know is it's a White Rotary. The last patent date on the cover is 1913. This is my first earlier White Rotary and my first bentwood case of any brand. The machine itself seems complete. It does have the bobbin case and (I hope) a bobbin. It's frozen solid, most likely has some severe pin rash and there is some slight silvering of the decals. Overall though, I think it will clean up pretty nicely. A couple glue joints are coming loose on the case, it needs a new bottom and is missing a hinge, but those are minor problems and it too will clean up very nicely.
Which needles do these take and who do I call to get it dated?
Thanks,
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails white-rotary-singer-66-005.jpg   white-rotary-singer-66-007.jpg   white-rotary-singer-66-001.jpg   white-rotary-singer-66-002.jpg   white-rotary-singer-66-003.jpg  

white-rotary-singer-66-004.jpg