View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 AM
gvolle44

I've taught children from 3yr to 93 ys. For the young ones I like to stat with stitching without thread on card stock paper that has lines, curves and zig zags which they learn how to set the needle and make a turn. Then I use dot to dot pictures where they have to follow the numbered dots to create a picture, After they are comfortable with using presser foot, sinking needle to make turns, we Learn how to wind a bobbin, and thread the machine. My GD are already good with using a scissors so I have the cut out a simple elastic band skirt pattern for their first project. It takes two lessons to complete this. I Also have them help with the Ouch Buddies that are given to the local Children's hospital. A small quilt using a quarter inch foot helps to gain experience in ironing as well as matching seams. Aprons or doll clothes for younger students is nice. The 7yr old like making her pencil bag learning hoe to sew a zipper, but older students like making fashionable tote bags, mom might like a reusable grocery bag. Keeping it simple is the key and keeping lessons to an hours seems to work for me. [ATTACH=CONFIG]489542[/ATTACH]
http://www.rmhcincinnati.org/sites/d...Buddies(2).pdf
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg