View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Cecelia363

A friend and I taught a sewing class, we started with 14 and ended with 9, 6 to 14 year old girls, turned out to be more baby sitting! Glad to hear the moms will be in your class. I would save maint. and cleaning for later. We started with pillow cases. We learned quickly that our students had almost no hand - eye-foot coordination! The lefties had issues! LOL For the second class, with markers I drew straight and wavy lines and circles on 18'' squares of muslin . The circles overlapped and each was a different color. The lesson was =Safety first! then bobbin winding , treading the machine (white thread) and then sewing on the lines over and over with a straight stitch and zig zag while trying to keep an even speed and light touch while guiding/steering the fabric.
We learned right off the girls did not want lectures they wanted machine time . Cheap machines are a real pain! Thread tails, sudden and fast starts, pushing the fabric. None of our girls had ever touched a sewing machine before and they were fearless! They are girls and love to chatter and see what everyone else is doing WHILE THEY ARE SEWING! and they have no patience! So.... no rotary cutters, set machines up with a longer stitch length so ripping out is a happier experience, bring a magnet to pick up the several times spilled pins. A few mom or grandma helpers are a good idea. Bring craft/sewing/quilting magazines to foster ideas and excitement for what they can learn to make, they were all astonished when I showed them blouses and quilts I had made. Include a list of supplies they will need in their basic basket. Shiny, sparkely and slippery fabric pillow cases are fun but NOT for beginers. Put a little distance between the work stations. For complete beginners = 3 students per teacher is a workable ratio. 1 hour is not enough, with the set-up, visiting / show and tell, lesson and clean -up , plan on 2 1/2 to3 hours or even a Saturday or Sunday 1/2 day if their attention span and desire to learn is high. After school is not the best.
Our class was after school until 5 pm during the school year. The different ages/grades kept them from showing up at the same time so snacks and visiting while we waited helped them focus. By the end of the school year they had made pillow cases, tote bags, placemats or doll size quilts, and pillow case dresses or tops and elastic waist skirts, button sewing and a few embroidery stitches. None wanted a class for the next school year, they missed their softball team. 5 will probably sew and embroider often , I think most will take it up later in life but our 3 oldest girls, home schooled and sisters, entered sewing projects and embroidery in the county fair! We are so proud of them!