View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 10:09 AM
KenmoreRulesAll

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Sort of looks like a kitchen mixer. The emblem is placed as if on front quarter panel of an automobile. How does yours sew?
You mean they're supposed to sew? Heck, I don't know. I just buy them and clean them up and admire them.

Seriously, I used the Necchi Solution (90% kerosene/10% sewing machine oil) and got it freed up, polished the brightwork, replaced the tires (winder and pulley) and it runs. It's known as a rough runner and it's loud but it can sew through anything:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489567[/ATTACH]

(The pic was taken before I had purchased and replaced the tires.) I need to tighten the winder mechanism slightly and completely clean the bobbin area, probably with a kerosene bath. The machine was covered in oil varnish and smoker's haze. Still, for $3.99 it was a great purchase.

I think I'm not vintage enough for the Quilting Board. Most folks here are into the really old machines whereas I like the later but still all-metal, mid-century machines. Kenmores (obviously) are my favorites. Here's another Kenmore that is really cool (made in Germany by Gritzner-Kayser, of which there were Gritzner/Domestic/White/Kenmore models):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489568[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]489569[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1010030-2-640x480-.jpg   gritznerkenmorefront-800x600-.jpg   p1010042-800x600-.jpg