View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 AM
auntpiggylpn

Default Binding, Fabric Fraying & Pre Washing

I bought a quilt kit that uses Andover Fabrics. http://www.needleinahayesstack.biz/chillingsworth.html

I've never used fabrics from this manufacturer before. The fabrics frayed a lot but I just starched them heavily and shortened my stitch length to compensate. I am almost ready to make my binding strips and attach by machine and I will hand sew to the back. The quilt kit was very generous with fabrics. The fabric that was included in the kit for the binding seems to be a looser weave. This same fabric but in a different color was used in the quilt so I know it has a tendency to fray. As I am not concerned with fabric loss due to shrinkage, I am considering zig zagging the edges and washing the binding fabric to tighten up the weave. I usually cut my binding strips on the bias (personal preference) but I will have to cut SOG due to what I have available. I also pre washed the backing fabrics. My question is this: If I prewash the binding fabric am I risking that the edges will become skewed when I am finished with the quilt and wash it prior to gifting??? I used Warm & Natural batting & did not pre shrink it.

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 08-29-2014 at 11:48 AM.