View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 08:05 PM
maviskw

Originally Posted by Yellow Bird View Post
TIPS: Starch the block before you cut. Keeps those bias edges in check.
Make sure all the seams are 1/4" - it matters!
Make sure all the blocks are the same size before cutting the nine smaller blocks.
Measure from the CENTER SEAM when making the cuts of the block. In the tutorial by MSQC Jenny did not stress this but I found that measuring from the center seam was more reliable.
Use the center 4-patch to measure the other portions of your block - if you need to adjust the size down, use the center 4-patch as a template.
If you have to re-size your blocks make sure you cut from the edges that do not have triangles.
Avoid using the lighter colors in a layer cake - or make them all light colors and avoid the darker colors. Mixing the two just didn't look right to me.
I marked all my blocks before I made the cuts - and then when I was cutting, if it didn't look right - I checked it again. Most of the time I had messed up the original marks!
Thanks, Yellow Bird. I agree with using less lighter colors. It looks better with darker colors with a light background. It's a good idea to say away from too many mediums, unless you put a medium with a very light or a very dark. The contrast between the two is what is important.