View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 11:46 PM
noveltyjunkie

This reminds me of a sad memory from my childhood. At school there was at one time a practice for girls to sew while the boys had extra math class. It makes me angry even now. Girls need those skills too! And science, and finance, and all those other things. It opens career options but more importantly it equips them to be a better citizen- to inform their voting choices, protect themselves as consumers, manage their own finances and investments. I was almost turned away from sewing permanently by having it presented as this type of choice.

Thankfully I later had a teacher that ensured the boys also got the benefit of needlework classes, so we could all share the joy of learning together!

Originally Posted by fmhall2 View Post
Back in the 90's I did the same thing. Had probably 9 or 10 home schooled girls and their mothers and their grandmothers. They wanted hand sewing, so that is what we did. Loved it. At the same time my husband taught the boys. He had maybe 6 or 8. They started with aviation, since he was a pilot, then they went on to other things that they wanted to learn, such as cartooning, finances, politics, physics -- basically anything they asked about. I still teach one homeschool mother sewing in my home, and a college grad on two separate days.