View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 05:32 PM
ThayerRags

I don’t recall test-sewing any machine that I ever bought. The Seller of an Industrial Consew 225 flipped the switch to show me that the clutch motor ran, but I think that’s been the extent of it. I didn’t even ask him to do that, and I was paying a pretty penny for the machine.

I picked up my 570th sewing machine today. I keep a database of all of the machines that I own or have owned. It’s a Singer 221. The Seller says that it works, but I haven’t even plugged it in yet. If the Seller was mistaken (tongue deeply embedded in cheek), I figure that I can probably get it going anyway.

I’m sorry, but test-sewing at purchase to me, is not a good idea. Test-sewing at the Sellers location can be stressful and lead to basic mistakes that kill the deal. If you use your thread, and the machine is set to use another size thread, you’re not going to be happy. The tensions will probably be off. If the fabric that you toted along to use for a sample is something vastly different than the machine has been set up to sew, you’re not going to be happy. If you want to simply let them show you how well it sews with their thread and their fabric, then go for it. It will probably sew well with your thread, your needle size, your fabric, and your type of sewing....

I should probably mention that I don’t care for, and have never bought a Bernina.

CD in Oklahoma