View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 06:30 AM
laynak

I went shopping yesterday for backings for 4 quilts, plus one border and binding. I bought 3 and will wait to get the 4th backing for free with 'points', which won't be available till the Labor Day sale is over. Thinking of my spending yesterday (over $100), plus the original cost of the quilt tops, then still pay for LAQ'ing, there's no way a quilt can run less than $150 in materials and LAQ. These quilt backs were crib to lap quilt sizes only. Double, triple, or quadruple the cost for a double/queen/king size quilt!
Problem: I'm finding buying for quilt tops as FUN, buying quilt backings is like paying a bill (not fun but clears a 'debt').
The amount spent for the backings & LAQ'ing remains near 2/3 of the cost of a quilt. Cutting 1/3 of annual spending is the best outcome possible.
Option: LAQ on my machine (time consuming) or hand quilt (my hands won't tolerate) for the other 1/3 of my quilt budget savings.
Solution: Just make quilt tops! And/or, fully complete one quilt at a time to be less painful budget-wise.
Does anyone else relate?
Yet, I STILL have enough of a stash for another 20 quilt tops....