Old 09-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Cogito

Default Which Serger? Brother 1034D or Janome 7933

Do you have either one of these machines? Please comment if you do...

I am having a difficult time choosing between these two Sergers! I am new to serging and these 2 machines offer what I want.....well little differences that I need to know if they matter. I am more confident with the Janome name. I know there is a huge fan base out there for Brother but I have also heard horror stories about many of their models. The Brother 1034D has a free arm and the Janome does not. I think I need the free arm.....what do you think?
some reviews of the Brother have been really negative but there are also lots of positives so assume it is luck of the draw if get a lemon? One complaint....not heavy duty enough for jeans or thick fabrics. The pros of me buying the brother...nearly $80 cheaper than the Janome and Costcos very generous return policy (basically return at anytime...even a year later). The con...no one to help me trouble shoot.

The Janome pros for me.... Janome name, seems to be more heavy duty, knowledgeable staff at Hancocks who help me when I need it. Plus a friend who has this machine and loves it. She would also be a great teacher for me.
The cons of Janome machine....I only have 60 days to return it if something goes wrong or I don't like it. It does NOT have a free arm (do I need it?) the presser foot lifter is behind the needle bar (very difficult to get to in my opinion) vs. On right side of Brother machine.
The biggest issue for me is the Janome takes HA-1sp needles which I would have to order (and I hate paying shipping costs) whereas the brother takes standard sewing machine needles...which I have tons of and wouldn't have to worry about mixing them up.
WHICH ONE WOULD YOU BUY?

Last edited by Cogito; 09-01-2014 at 08:55 AM.