Old 09-01-2014, 10:55 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

Well, it's like they say - toss something out and the next day you'll need it. When we downsized to a 2-bedroom apt. from a 3 bedroom house with full basement, 1/4 of which was my sewing "stash", but I couldn't say it was terribly organized. I should add that the year before my dear sister/friend passed away and I inherited her "stash", and before that I received various fabrics when people cleaned out their stash because they thought I could use it (and a lot of it I did) for making crafts and quilted items for my church's annual Harvest Fair. My DH and DS wanted me to get rid of all of it (Horrors of all horrors), but my best friend and quilting buddy came over one day and we purged about half of the fabric stored in the basement sewing room. What she couldn't use, she passed on to another friend who belonged to a group called Caring Covers who made quilts for babies and children in local hospitals. Wouldn't you know it I was making a family reunion quilt in blues, my sister's favorite color. Because we had just SS for income, and I couldn't find a job due to the economy, I was trying to watch what I spent. I remembered a very large piece of blue fabric that another girl friend had given me, so I called my friend, and she still had it, in fact she had set it aside because she thought I might want to use it, and I did. I had plenty of fabric for the backing of a queen size quilt, I didn't have to spend any extra money and my friend's gift was put to good use. Do I still miss some of that fabric, yes, however, I wouldn't have room for it in our apt., and my DH had to accept that I'd given away all the fabric I was going to give away. I'm glad I put my foot down, as I was able to make a darling pieced and appliqued quilt for our DGD, which I gave to her last Christmas, and I used all fabrics from my stash. I am slowly using the fabrics and have since gotten rid of at least 4-6 large plastic tubs of fabrics. Will I ever use it all before I die, I don't know, but I'm darned sure I'm going to try.