Old 09-02-2014, 07:12 AM
Sewnoma

I've pretty much given up on Goodwill. Seems like they only have clothes in the local shops, and maybe a few kitcheny items. I think all their "stuff" is picked over and put up on their auction site! My favorite local thrift shops are run by the local hospice system and I really expected to find several machines there but no luck! I went to all 3 of their locations. DH found an awesome old Zenith radio...I found nothing. BOO!

I looked at the Goodwill auction site and they seemed to have some good deals, but then once you add shipping it's not really much of a deal for a machine that all I know about it is a comment like "needle moves".

I think I'm going to swing by my Janome dealer on my way home; they also sell Bernina and service older Singers & Kenmores and sometimes they have some older/inexpensive machines they've gotten on trade-in. If nothing else I can let them know I'm looking. Fortunately I'm not in a big hurry, my friend is due to have a new baby in about 2-1/2 weeks and doesn't want to start sewing lessons for her daughter for about a month after that. So I have time to keep hunting!

Tessagin - you don't happen to know the model of the Janome you got, do you? We don't have Hancock's in this area but I'm curious about what you got. $50 is a little more than I'd prefer to spend but not outrageously so, especially for a new machine. I had no idea Janome had machines for that little!