Old 09-02-2014, 01:52 PM
cathyvv

Default Moan, groan, why did I ever say I'd do this?

My guild asked me to quilt a raffle quilt. I had huge misgivings, didn't really want to do it, but grudgingly said ok.

It's 80 X 96 - biggest quilt I've ever done on my quilting set up.

Things I have learned from this quilt:

1) If your gut says 'don't do it", don't do it.

2) Never use dark thread on a light backing or light thread on a light backing if you make mistakes. I make mistakes.

3) Do NOT try a new pattern on a large quilt. If it has problems, you have problems. It has problems, so I have problems.

4) The first three rows were a nightmare, and had to be ripped out. Did I mention that the quilt is 80 inches wide and the row is 8 inches long? At a rip-out speed of about 4 hours per row, that's 12 hours! See number 3.

I finally figured out that at least part of the problem was the new bobbin case I was using. I had used it before on another quilt with NO problems.

I put the first three rows back in. They looked great from the top, and I was checking the bottom as I went. I thought I was finally rolling on this quilt! However, row two was partially wrecked when the take up pole let loose one ratchet. That made the quilting wonky/off by about .5 inches in one spot. I have tried to line the quilting back up and do over that section with absolutely no luck. See number 2.

I have three choices: Live with it, rip it out or take it to guild to see if they want to either hand quilt that little bit or rip the entire row out themselves. The mistakes really show.

Row three has a similar problem. Same choices.

5) The last row - I've taken it out once already (4 hours!!!), and it should probably be taken out again. The machine appears to be sewing on a downward slant. I consulted with DH about it and he said the quilt had to be slightly 'cocked' because everything else looked good. And it did. Not a lot that I can do about the quilt being 'cocked' at the last row. And why didn't it show up before?

Well, on the last stitches of the second iteration of the last row, I figured out why the quilt LOOKED 'cocked'. The quilt rolled around the take up roller was much puffier (looser) at the start of the row than at the end of the row. So from where I placed the needle, the start of the row was literally higher than the end of the row, thus causing the look of downward quilting.

6) I hate this quilt. I hate the quilting pattern. I hate the thread (top and bottom). I still like the guild, but that could change.

7) I will never do this again. It's too much like work.