View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Mousie
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
This is such a timely topic for me and my extended family. We are currently in the process of trying to have my sister civilly committed. This has been such a heart wrenching journey. She is currently hospitalized, (has been since end of June) but may be released shortly depending on the judge's findings. She doesn't/can't/won't accept that she is ill. She is a danger to herself, is homeless, jobless, and paranoid. For a wide variety of reasons no one in the family is in a position to take her in, and getting help for someone who does not want help is incredibly difficult. I agree about the stigma part being hard for some people...one of my brothers doesn't want anyone to know, and another brother won't tell his wife! Sometimes, I see that "look" in her eyes, and wonder how terrified and confused she must be. Kudos to all who have had the courage to seek help, aren't ashamed or embarrassed, and have embraced help and treatment, sometimes at great personal cost! Mavis...thank you for your insight and thoughts!
I thought I had responded to this earlier today, but I don't see it.
Your sister should be eligible for disability payments and there is government
apartments for handicapped (mentally ill) people.
She will need someone to take her places.
I don't know if she is capable of living by herself, but thought it was worth
mentioning.
It's not always easy to help someone that does not want help. It can be
a heartbreaking situation. I pray things get better for you all.